UNIVERSITY OF PLYMOUTH MODULE RECORD
MODULE CODE: FDAP203
MODULE TITLE: SITE MANAGEMENT
COMPENSATABLE WITHIN THIS PROGRAMME: No
SHORT MODULE DESCRIPTOR
This module gives the learner a working knowledge of the processes involved in setting up and operating an archaeological site as part of a major construction project, particularly with regard to Health & Safety legislation and the normal management procedures within the construction industry. These processes are also relevant for stand alone archaeological investigations.
ELEMENTS OF ASSESSMENT: (C1) COURSEWORK 100%
Give Subject Assessment Panel Group to which module should be linked.
Minimum pass mark for professional body accreditation
ASSESSED LEARNING OUTCOMES: At the end of a module the learner will be expected to be able to:
1. Consider the rationale and strategy for establishing a site
2. Set up a site for an archaeological investigation demonstrating the transferable skills necessary to exercise personal responsibility and decision making.
3. Use a range of established techniques to undertake risk assessments and method statements in accordance with requirements of Health & Safety legislation.
4. Analyse the processes necessary for the proper management of an archaeological site within a commercial environment.
5. Critically evaluate the planning and execution of the management of a site.
INDICATIVE SYLLABUS CONTENT:
· Site Establishment: environmental risk assessment, site access and hard standings, fencing and security; welfare facilities, location and protection of permanent services, provision of temporary services, plant and equipment
· Health and Safety: Legislation, general duties, policies and procedures. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007.
· Site organisation, relationships and the management team: Statutory authorities, the client, the architect, the engineers, the quantity surveyor, the contractor and the sub-contractors.
· Contractual procedures: methods of procurement, conditions of contract, contact procedures.
· Financial control: Estimates and valuations, planning and cost control, procurement of labour, plant and materials.
APPROVAL: DATE OF APPROVAL: 23/5/07
DATE OF IMPLEMENTATION: 1/9/07 DATE(S) OF APPROVED CHANGE: n/a
PARTNER INSTITUTION City College Plymouth
MODULE LEADER: Richard Morgan
Term All Year
Assessment Criteria (Threshold Level) :
The student should be able to provide evidence of: